Monday, November 27, 2006

Here we go again...

For the third consecutive year I will coach a high school rec basketball team after promising myself that I would never do it again. I have a love/hate relationship with church basketball. Here is why.
1. Showing any emotion at any time is considered blasphemy and automatically means that
you do not love Jesus.
2. Winning by more than 2 points is considered poor sportsmanship. Allowing that to happen is
against the "church league code of conduct" and also means that you do not love Jesus.
3. Talking to referees is strictly prohibited. If this is ever done - then plan on being
excommunicated (not from the church - from Christianity as a whole).
4. It's not about winning - it's about having fun....I wouldn't have a problem with this except for
the fact that it is much more fun to win.

Since I have such a love/hate relationship with church basketball, I have decided to coach both the guys team and the girls team. Yes - I will show emotion. Yes - I will try to win every game (hopefully by more than two points), and Yes - I will probably point out to the referee's the proper call that should have been made. I am sure I will get frustrated. I know for sure that some of the people from other churches will wish that I would just sit down in my chair and not say a word. Why put myself through this? This is gearing up to be a very interesting season. Besides, our guys have a championship to defend.

1 Comments:

Blogger David Jacks said...

I'm excited about Basketball dude, but expect me to need alot of work. I haven't played in years.

6:34 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home