Saturday, March 31, 2007

Leading by consensus?

Heard a guy (professor) say the other day that great leaders lead by consensus. He was talking in the context of church leadership and how to effectively maneuver through seasons of change. Most of the people in the room shook their heads in affirmation. That statement and the response to it made me sick.

Let's think about this for just a second. If leading by consensus was the way to go,

Then the nation of Israel would have never left Egypt.
They would have never crossed the Red Sea.
David wouldn't have been able to fight Goliath.
David would have never been crowned King.
I could probably go on forever... By the way, there are a lot of people who are following the majority and the Bible say's that (broad way) leads to destruction.

Lead when you have received a Word from God. Follow it. Follow Him. When people think you are crazy - follow God. When you know the what but not the how - follow God. When people try to hijack the vision - follow God - not the majority.

2 Comments:

Blogger jeff hill said...

I could not agree more J.R. This was a great blog

5:49 AM  
Blogger Andrew said...

There is a lot of stuff I want to say about this but for the sake of being nice I will keep these thoughts to myself, and say that I agree with you J.R.

7:31 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home